Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Zombie Hunters

I started reading a very good web comic called The Zombie Hunters recently. Its very well done and the art is fantastic. I really recommend it. You need to start from the beginning, because it has a long story line. I like the newer art better than some of the first chapters of the comic, but I'm no visual artist, so I have no room to judge someone else's work or how their direction changed over time. I just wanted to make sure you knew that it was really worth it to stay with the comic.

I have always liked Zombie Movies, or anything Post-Apocalyptic. I'm sure there are thousands of essays about why those genres seem to appeal to so many people and I'm really not in the mood to explore that idea ad-nauseum.

My personal theory is that they are so popular because they put us in the situation where we can dream of throwing off all the bullshit of polite society and go back to simply surviving by our wits and strength and actually fighting for our lives. That's in place of the kind of political campaigning many of us do everyday as we try to keep our jobs intact or deal with teachers and classmates in college or high school.

I think it also appeals to throwing off a lot of the responsibilities of mowing our lawns, paying our taxes, keeping the oil changed in the mini-van. In a post apocalyptic zombie world, the lawn and insurance is the last thing you live for and you really live in the moment. You have no to-do lists, other than keep the clip full of ammo, the chainsaw full of gas and the door barricaded.

That, and I think we all would like to be able to loot...you know like a huge garage sale with no haggling over anything. By the way, The Zombie Hunters has an I HEART LOOTING T-Shirt on sale, its pretty cool....

(This weblog does not condone or encourage the illegal looting of homes or business of any kind, unless there was actually a Zombie emergency, in which case, it is our humble opinion it would be permissible....mkay?)


Thanks for reading.

AC

No comments:

Post a Comment